My last FO of 2014 is the first to be blogged about in 2015! I finished my Roosevelt Cardigan at the end of December, amidst the merriment and hubbub of the holidays.
It was a satisfying knit, with really nice yarn purchased at Rhinebeck this past October. I used Harrisville WATERshed, in color Penstock. I love it. Love, love, love it. It is wooly wool with rich tonal qualities that felt great to knit. A perfect substitute for Shelter (spun at the same mill) or Jamieson’s Shetland Heather Aran (a yarn by any other name, and I mean ANY other name — it has had many!!).
This sweater started out as Rowe…and part of me wishes I had finished this elaborate, cabled coat. But, it had “issues” (for the way I wanted it) and I did not feel like fixing the issues. So, I embarked on a different design. Roosevelt has many projects on Ravelry that were beautifully completed.
The show-stopping feature of this design is the pocket treatment:
I bound off the back neck with I-cord so the strong line at the fronts would continue around the back neck:
Then I edged the shawl collar with I-cord to add weight to the collar and match the strong lines throughout.
My thinking was to create an over-sized boyfriend sweater, but alas, I do not seem able to carry off the part of the cute girlfriend! However, it is a very wearable sweater out of beautiful yarn, that fits as I expected. Yay!!
PS — Several of you have asked about the collar and if it is deeper than the original.
It may be: the way I did the collar was to only do my short row wraps in the “p2″ sts of the k2, p2 rib, which was every 4 sts. This changed the number of short rows (the original had more short rows), by 5 = 10 rows of knitting. After the shawl collar short rows were completed, I continued the ribbing for 3 inches instead of 2. This would have deepened the collar at the same time, but probably back to the original width. I bound off with I-cord which also added a small amount of width.