Sally and I both have FO’s to share and fought over who would get to post first — YOU LOSE! It’s me! 😉
I did just get back from my trip – cut short by impending snow. It took me 5-1/2 hours to get there and I figured snowfall would make it an even longer drive home. My goal was to finish at least one project and I got close. I finished it at home on Saturday and Sunday.
When I received Tudor Roses in the mail, I was immediately struck by Elizabeth of York, the reimagined. It looked like a tapestry to me…richly woven fabric, careworn over time. I thought, “Hey, it’s a short vest! How long could it take?!?”
Answer: A long time! It was a slow-moving project to be sure. When I started it, I thought it looked like a muddled mess. I truly considered throwing in the towel. The two colors (Red Deer and Mountain Hare) are very close — one solid red, and one heathered salmon with reddish tones. The pattern took a while to emerge and until it did, I was unimpressed. My first realization that it had hope was when my husband walked in and commented on how beautiful it was. From a distance, the pattern is more clear and is really stunning.
Here is my Elizabeth finished:
I made some modifications. The most significant is the profile. Let’s be honest – I have no waist. The original Elizabeth has a very small, fitted waistline and then increases to the bust. I made mine straight:
The black outline is the original shape while the red lines show my alterations. I cut in more for the armholes and made them deeper based on how I prefer my vests to fit. I think there was a mistake on the button bands in the pattern, so I improvised using the other bands as a guide. I tried every buttonhole in the book and could not get them to look right, so I kind of made up a buttonhole. And believe it or not, I had to go up at least 2 needle sizes to get Alice’s gauge! It still ended up a tad small but blocking did help.
For you steek lovers, here are the before and after shots of cutting:
Now that it’s done I can say that it was well worth it!