That was a tortured title!! But, it is meant to announce my latest FO: Newsom by Bristol Ivy. It felt like a bit of a slog, but only took a month so it couldn’t have been THAT bad, plus I threw my Margo Poncho in there somewhere, so quit complaining! 😉
When Sally and I went to Rhinebeck in 2014, I bought three skeins of Miss Babs’ Yowza – Whatta Skein in French Marigold — a jaw-dropping, tonal orange. I loved it, but could not find the right pattern. Everything was too this, or too that and most times I did not have enough yarn. I thought this simple style might work…and it did.
This sweater drew me in because of the clever construction. The sweater starts at the center of the back, right at the hem. Bristol says you can’t really adjust the length much but a couple of people tried it as did I. I am almost six feet tall, people!! My mods are described in more detail on my Ravelry project page.
The bold line continues up to the underarms, where you attach the sleeves:
Yes. You are essentially knitting a rectangle: up the right side “seam,” across the back, then down the left side seam. At the point in the picture, I am ready to attach the sleeves – up the right side, around the sleeve, across the back, around the second sleeve, and down the left side. it is crazy town!
The two diagonal lines between the stockinette and garter sections continue, becoming the raglan lines on the front of the sweater. You can see the front raglan line here:
It forms one continuous line from the center back to the front neck. So cool! A second [new] raglan line is added where the back and sleeves have been joined:
The color looks light and dark in the picture, but that is just shadow.
Now. About the fronts. They do not come together, nor are they supposed to apparently, but I knew mine would not even be able to wave at each other! So I did a series of short rows to create a wider hem. I did this after all the raglan shaping was done, right when I was ready to begin the collar. I did short rows every 6 sts which added 18 ridges to the width on each front at the hem only. Then I knit the collar, concluding with an i-cord bind off. I also did an i-cord bind off at the sleeve cuffs.
The sweater fit well but needed blocking. I wet blocked it and it became GINORMOUS!! I threw it in the dryer a couple of times and that did the trick. It fits perfectly and the yarn feels amazing.
Whew! Another one bites the dust! Now I need spring weather to wear this bright little puppy.